July 29th, 2023
First Light – 5:00 PM
Dana Landing, Mission Bay
This is the 28th annual San Diego Freedivers Blue Water Meet. This spearfishing competition is our premier event. Every year, we have 50-80 divers compete to determine who is the best blue water diver in Southern California
This is a single-day/single-fish meet. There are two categories of fish entries. First, is the pelagic fish category. Typically yellowtail, dorado, or white seabass take home the trophy. Second is the reef fish category. Large sheephead, calico bass or other species qualify for this category and usually take home an award.
- Largest single fish (by weight) wins the 1st Place award, plus name and catch engraved on our perpetual trophy. Largest fish in the reef fish category will win an award.
- Divers may enter the water at first-light the morning of the competition and must have fish submitted to be weighed by 5PM; entries not submitted by the 5PM deadline will be disqualified.
- Only one fish entry per contestant.
- Spearguns and pole spears only.
- Freediving only . . . no tanks, hooks, nets, traps, or bang sticks may be used to capture fish.
- Diver must personally load gun, shoot fish and retrieve fish. Retrieval on scuba is allowed only if necessary for safety.
- Contest fish are limited to legal species and sizes as defined by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations. Diver’s must possess all required licensing and certification required by the area of jurisdiction (i.e. divers in Mexico must possess all required licenses)
- Specifically excluded from this contest are sharks, rays, sunfish (molas), broadbill swordfish, black seabass, and groupers.
- All entrants must submit a completed and signed Registration/Release of Liability form with payment.
Dana Landing Gas Dock, Mission Bay, San Diego.
- Competition begins in San Diego: divers may enter the water at First Light
- Weigh-ins at Dana Landing: Begin at 2PM and END @ 5PM SHARP at Dana Landing Gas Dock
- 4:15-6:15pm food being served ($10 for non competitors to get wristband)
- Awards and Raffle happening after weigh-ins @ approximately 5:30-6:00PM
- 7pm teardown and cleanup
- Dave Clutts : 858-899-0088
Fill out the form below AND pay via PayPal. Clicking “Submit” should redirect you to PayPal for payment. If it doesn’t redirect you, contact the webmaster at email@example.com.